What is the secret to both the organization that leads the market and the person that beats their rivals and has a successful career?
What do they possess in common?
What do they pay attention to that others don’t?
Academic pedigree? Skills? Strategy? Connections and networks? Financial resources?
All of these, of course, are contributing factors to success, but the highest common denominator is the ability for an organization or individual to be SEEN.
Seen by customers. Seen by bosses. Seen by investors. Seen by recruiters.
If you’re not seen by those who influence whether or not you succeed you’re not noticed; you are indistinguishable in the noise and clutter and won’t resonate with anyone.
If you’re not seen you don’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell of winning.
6 ways to be seen…
1. Pay attention to your target; the person(s) you are trying to sell to. Know them intimately; what they desire; what they covet. Being seen begins with doing your homework; it doesn’t happen through serendipity.
2. Determine 3 things you will do/deliver that will address the highest priority requirements of your target. Don’t try and boil the ocean. You can’t be all things to all people; selecting a few things that REALLY matter to them is critical. Focus on the essentials; leave the other (relatively unimportant) needs to others.
3. Deliver your stuff unconventionally. This is THE most important step to be seen. If what you do/deliver is traditional, common and follows herd behavior, you won’t be seen. You will have no identity other than another one of those people/organizations who look alike and who have no creative bones in their bodies.
4. Go in the opposite direction to everyone else. Again, if you are like the crowd you will get engulfed by THEIR momentum and blend in with them. Bite the dog and see what happens.
5. Create your statement of uniqueness that governs everything you do and defines how you are different than your competition.
6. Keep your eye on your competition; they will likely be watching you if you are seen and try to copy your approach. When confronted by a copycat you must create a new persona to deal with the desires of your target. Nothing lasts forever so be prepared to change your approach on the run.
Success is a function of delivering WHAT people desire in a way that is DiFFERENT than anyone else because it’s the only way to be seen.